One neurological disorder that can occur is a cerebral vascular accident (CVA) or commonly known as a stroke. A stroke can occur at any age, but the risk increases over the age of 65. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), early action is key. Here are some signs and symptoms to look for if you or someone you know is experiencing a stroke:
- Numbness on side of the body
- Sudden confusion
- Sudden trouble with vision
- Sudden trouble walking, dizziness or loss of dizziness
- Sudden severe headache with no known cause
The CDC recommends to act F.A.S.T. and utilize the following simple test;
1. F-Face-Ask the person to smile. Does one side of the face droop?
2. A-Arms-Ask the person to raise both arms. Does one arm drift downward?
3. S-Speech-Ask the person to repeat a simple phrase. Is the speech slurred or strange?
4. T-Time- If you see any of these signs, call 911 right away.
At Perfect Solutions for Seniors, we recommend to have a list of all your doctor’s information on your refrigerator, so your family can have it readily accessible. www.cdc.gov